Tick Submission Guidelines
Tick Testing in 3 Easy Steps
Save your tick in a plastic bag.
Order your test online.
Send it to our lab.
SOS! If you or a family member have been bitten by a tick, testing it for Lyme and other tick-borne diseases may aid in immediate medical decisions. It’s easy! Simply remove and save your tick in a Ziploc bag, order a Universal Tick Test online and then send us your specimen using supplies from home.
*For best results, do not delay sending your tick for testing. Damaged, dead or immature ticks may be time-sensitive.
- Secure each tick (dead or alive) in a Ziploc bag. Keep the body intact. Place a slightly dampened cotton ball or piece of paper towel/napkin (~ 1-inch x 1- inch) in the bag with the tick (do not wrap the tick). This will help preserve the tick for identification purposes. If the tick is alive, great! Double-bag it for added security.
- Write your name and order number on the envelope/bag/or piece of paper. USPS is preferred. We have received both First-Class and Priority mail.
- Send to: TICKNOLOGY, LLC
1612 Laporte Ave. Unit 9
Fort Collins, CO 80521
Scenario 1: Tick bites from a single person: place each specimen in a separate baggie so we recover them all. There is a maximum of 2 ticks per test and they must be approximately the same size. 2 ticks of equal size? Order 1 tick test at checkout (Qty 1). If you have 3 ticks from a single person or 2 ticks with different sizes, place each in a separate baggie and order 2 tests (Qty. =2). *In general, it is not recommended to delay testing. The age, storage conditions and shipping may adversely affect test sensitivity.
Scenario 2: Tick bites from different people: place each specimen in separate baggies and label each with a unique identifier for example "John" and "Jane" or "A" and "B". Order more than one tick test at checkout (Qty. >1).
**Adjust postage for the additional weight.
Shipping - Dos & Don'ts
- Write order# or name/email address/phone # on the specimen bag or paper included in the envelope.
- Use United States Postal Service (USPS)- Priority Mail (1-3 business days or overnight). *Other private carriers are ok too.
- Ship your specimen in a padded, cardboard or reinforced envelope.
- Transfer your specimen(s) to individual Ziploc bag(s) (rather than a container).
- Track your envelope.
- Add more postage if the envelope ***exceeds ¼ inch thickness***.
DO NOT (may cause delay (1 business day):
- Certified mail (signature required).
- Use tape to secure the tick.
- Send medium or large size boxes.
You will be notified by email when your tick has arrived.
Test results will be emailed to you within 24-72 hr by choosing Priority Processing at checkout.
Please contact Ticknology. We will respond within 24 hours.