Tick Submission Guidelines
Tick Testing in 3 Easy Steps
Save your tick in a plastic bag.
Order your test online.
Send it to our lab.
SOS! If you or a family member have been bitten by a tick, testing it for Lyme and other tick-borne diseases may aid in immediate medical decisions. It’s easy! Simply remove and save your tick in a Ziploc bag, order a Universal Tick Test online and then send us your specimen using supplies from home.
Send us your tick using supplies from home (details below). We no longer recommend using USPS mail (FedEx & UPS are preferred). Please upgrade your chosen mail service to include tracking, reinforced packaging and better all-around service.
*For best results, do not delay sending your tick for testing. Damaged, dead or immature ticks may be time-sensitive.
- Secure each tick (dead or alive) in a Ziploc bag. Keep the body intact. Place a slightly dampened cotton ball or piece of paper towel/napkin (~ 1-inch x 1- inch) in the bag with the tick (do not wrap the tick). This will help preserve the tick for identification purposes. If the tick is alive, great! Double-bag it for added security.
- Write your name and order number on the envelope/bag/or piece of paper. UPS or FedEx are preferred (10AM-5PM).
- Send to: TICKNOLOGY, LLC
1612 Laporte Ave. Unit 9
Fort Collins, CO 80521
Scenario 1: Tick bites from a single person: place each specimen in a separate baggie so we recover them all. There is a maximum of 2 ticks per test and they must be approximately the same size. 2 ticks of equal size? Order 1 tick test at checkout (Qty 1). If you have 3 ticks from a single person or 2 ticks with different sizes, place each in a separate baggie and order 2 tests (Qty. =2). *In general, it is not recommended to delay testing. The age, storage conditions and shipping may adversely affect test sensitivity.
Scenario 2: Tick bites from different people: place each specimen in separate baggies and label each with a unique identifier for example "John" and "Jane" or "A" and "B". Order more than one tick test at checkout (Qty. >1).
**Adjust postage for the additional weight.
Shipping - Dos & Don'ts
- Write order# or name/email address/phone # on the specimen bag or paper included in the envelope.
- Use UPS or FedEx. IF using United States Postal Service (USPS), then PRIORITY Express mail is preferred.
- Ship your specimen in a padded, cardboard or reinforced envelope.
- Transfer your specimen(s) to individual Ziploc bag(s) (rather than a container).
- Track your envelope.
- Add more postage if the envelope ***exceeds ¼ inch thickness*** (First Class USPS (not preferred)).
DO NOT (may cause delay (1 business day):
- Certified mail (signature required).
- Special AM deliveries- delivery attempts before 10AM are unreliable.
- Use tape to secure the tick.
- Send medium or large size boxes.
You will be notified by email when your tick has arrived.
Test results will be emailed to you within 24-72 hr by choosing Priority Processing at checkout.
Please contact Ticknology. We will respond within 24 hours.